Close family members have spent much of the last ten years travelling round Australia in a caravan. Like so many other active retirees, they have become “Grey Nomads”, enjoying their retirement travelling off the beaten track in search of the “real Australia”.
I asked them to distil the hard-earned wisdom gleaned “on the road” into their Top 10 Tips for uncluttered living in (very) small spaces. Here’s how David & Lyn learned to wrangle their possessions and live in harmony for more than 175,000km in a small caravan.
- Learn to love familiarity. Resist the temptation to buy new stuff. Appreciate the possessions you have and take pleasure in minimising your consumption.
- Mix and match so you don’t need a full new outfit every day. Take enough clothes to last 10 days.
- The Rule of Two: 2 jumpers, 2 pairs of long pants, swimmers, 2 outfits for going out & a waterproof jacket.
- One on; one in the wash. Two sets of sheets & towels, 2 lightweight blankets, 1 beach towel each.
- Replace manchester and clothes when they’re worn out or no longer fit. Don’t keep and rotate more sets than you need.
- One in; one out. If you’re genuinely sick of something, donate it to a charity store along your way and buy something new.
- Multi-task your cooking utensils. Make sure you can use them on the hotplate, bbq and camping stove.
- If it doesn’t fit, flick it! Nominate a storage space, such as a saucepan drawer. Only take the cooking utensils that fit into that drawer.
- Shoes are a nightmare as they take up so much room. Try to have a single pair for each activity: solid shoes for hiking/walking; sandals or thongs for beach strolling; slippers or uggs for the nippy evenings, and a single good pair for going out.
- Use it or lose it. If you haven’t used something at the end of a big trip, remove it. Some people put stickers on things and at the end of the trip they remove any items without a sticker.
What’s YOUR top tip for uncluttered living in (very) small spaces?
Uncluttered Living is a decluttering, downsizing and home organising service based in Brisbane, providing warm, friendly, fast and professional support to help you take back control of your home and your life. If you like what you read in this blog, check out the rest of our website on www.unclutteredliving.com.au and COMMENT, LIKE and SHARE here and on our Facebook page.
Contact Uncluttered Living Principal Nicki Kenvyn on 0439 977 199 or email if you need help to declutter or downsize your home. Gift vouchers are available for any amount.